1) A well-known brand of very high quality outdoor gear, especially jackets, backpacks, and tents.
2) A brand-name that has regrettably been appropriated by thugs and yuppies alike as a way of either projecting an image of wealth or interest in rugged activities and the great outdoors.
I was talking to this guy at the trailhead, and noticed that even though his North Face pack had to be a good 15-20 years old and faded from the sun, it wasn't ripped and all the seams were still solid! I hope my Gore-tex jacket lasts that long.
One of life's great mysteries is how women can simultaneously complain about inconsiderate man-whores and the impossibility of finding a "nice guy", while sitting across from a hetero male friend who also has similar male friends that she has met but declined to date.
from "Seinfeld", the "Moops" were the nation that conquered Spain & gave it the twinge of Islamic architecture seen to this day, according to the card George was reading from when playing Trivial Pursuit against the "Bubble Boy". Bubble Boy insisted, quite rightly, of course, that the answer was "Moors", but George being the prick that he was, wouldn't give him credit for the answer. The townspeople later drove out the fiendish George & Jerry for their mistreatment of the Bubble Boy.
Bubble Boy: It was the Moors! The MOORS!
George: No, I'm sorry, it was the Moops. The card clearly says, "Moops".
1) removal of the frontal lobe of the brain, causing the "patient" to lose all capacity for higher thought, reason, etc. while still technically not considered a "vegetable".
2) a process that had been deemed unethical and barbaric, but has evidently been stealthily carried out on a truly massive scale, as shown by tell-tale symptoms of lobotomization such as:
"Calvin pissing" stickers, voting Republican, obsessive interest in NASCAR, membership in the NRA (as opposed to responsible hunting, fishing, and conservation groups), calling it "moral values" to tell lies in order to start unnecessary wars that kill or maim tens of thousands of people as well as to lie, cheat, and embezzle in a manner befitting of Enron, Halliburton, Arbusto Energy, or Tyco, to destroy God's Creations with irresponsible & reckless abandon, especially while simultaneously ignoring all principles of science and all available facts in order to promote a theocratic worldview in the guise of "intelligent design" (an indoctrination ironically similar to the Islamic fundamentalist wackos these same so-called Christians purport to be opposed to), promote the hatred of and discrimination against the economically disenfranchised or otherwise most vulnerable members of a society, particularly if it allows titillating discussion of sexual acts these same repressed prudes and closet-cases secretly fetishize under the flimsy pretense of "taking a moral stand".
Highly over-publicized activities that at least half the time are undertaken or discussed by otherwise boring people in a desperate attempt to seem interesting. Posers are extraordinarily abundant, especially inThe Heartland. After all, how the hell does some kid in Nebraska go surfing, or rock-climbing in Iowa?
The purchased experiences of white-water rafting and bungee jumping gave Ned a sense that he was not a vanilla, SUV-driving corporate automaton, but a wild and crazy alpha-male living his life on the edge!
1) the dominant member of a pack of wolves.
2) any person with a dominating personality, causing the assertion of or struggle for leadership in almost any situation.
While Dubya was busily pretending to be an alpha-male whilst getting coked up and going AWOL from his Air National Guard unit during Vietnam, John Kerry was matter-of-factly leading his swiftboat successfully through enemy fire in true alpha-male form.