"Actually, no, I feel compersion. She's really cool. He lights up to see her. When I see him that happy, I actually feel happy for him, not jealous."
Commentary: Compersion can be thought of as the opposite of "jealousy;" it is a positive emotional reaction to a loved one's other relationship. The term was coined by the Kerista Commune. It differs from candaulism in that compersion does not specifically refer to joy regarding the sexual activity of one's partner, but refers instead to joy at the relationship with another romantic and/or sexual partner. It is analagous to the feeling of joy a parent feels when their children marry or that best friends feel for each other when they are happy in a romantic relationship.
2. A trait commonly found in people who identify as polyamorous. It is often experienced as a driving force toward polyamory and open relationships, as these are the best ways to express compersion without deception or games in a relationship.
3. A viewpoint which regards a partner as an individual with their own needs and desires, and fully accepts the independent pursuit of those desires.
4. A voyeuristic appreciation for the concept of one's partner engaging in sexual or intimate activities with a 3rd party.
5. An important component for a successful and drama-free threesome within a relationship.
6. A positive reaction in a situation that stereotypically induces a jealousy reaction.
"Yeah, I'm compersive. For me its kind of like watching my girlfriend in a porno, I just sit back and enjoy the scene."
"I appreciate that he finds sex elseware. Compersion takes a lot of the stress off our relationship since I'm too busy to give it up as often as he wants."
"Watching her move with him as they screwed gave me a whole new perspective on sex. I was so blown away I just had to jump in!"
"I ship out tomorrow, and I made her promise to have lots of sex while I'm gone! I dont want my baby deprived because I'm not around for a few months. Its a little weird sometimes, but I feel compersion more often than jealousy, so its really not a problem."
"Dude, arent you jealous?"
"Are you kidding? That is HOT!"
"Most of my pleasure in relationships comes from my partner's enjoyment. It makes me happy when they enjoy themselves, and I've found that I dont even have to be the cause of their pleasure in order to enjoy it. Just knowing they're happy makes me happy." -The Dave