Metaphor for the conceptual path which is thought to lead to the true nature of reality. Infinitesimally deep and complex, venturing too far down is probably not that great of an idea.
Taking hallucinogenic drugs can be considered "tripping" down the rabbit hole, but it is also explored through philosophical and existential thinking.
The origin of the term is from the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland which leads into Wonderland.
You take the red pill and you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
- Morpheus, from The Matrix (I couldnt think of anything original, sorry)
It comes from Alice in Wonderland where she fell down the Rabbit Hole into some bizarre shit (trippy stuff from the 70s). Therefore, it is commonly used as an expression or euphuism for a portal to bizzarro world/significantly strange happenings/extremely surreal situations, etc.
Dude A: "I was drinking one minute and the next thing I knew I was in a corn field, buck naked, covered in body paint with my genitals pierced singing Christmas songs..."
Dude B: "That was some badass rabbit hole you fell down"
Used to refer to a person's temporary abscences owing to drug binges.
"Has anyone seen Jamie this week?"
"No, he's been in the rabbit hole with all that coke he's been blowing."
1) To go down a never ending tunnel with many twists and turns on the internet, never truly arriving at a final destination, yet just finding more tunnels. Clicking one link, then finding another on that page, then clicking another link on that page, which gives you the idea to search for something, and the process repeats.
2) Nonsensical process of getting from Point A to Point B with no clear route (and often no recollection) on how one got there.
1) "Josh always goes down the rabbit hole, he started by looking at a news website and reading about Global Warming, but twenty minutes later he's clicked his way to watching youtube videos of monkey's masturbating to sad music"
2) "Team C started out as a unit designation, but after two years of going down the rabbit hole the C stood for chaos, and Team was just a group of guys who wanted to make it home without a rabbit in their asses at the end of the day"
Metaphor for the Matrix, or the world outside the Matrix, as described to those to be unplugged.
"Tumble down the rabbit hole..."
"How far dow does the rabbit hole go?"
Rabbit Hole is a cute movie.
A parking spot or gap in city traffic only big enough for a Rabbit to use. It's invisible to people with bigger cars.
"I bet you 100 people drove by that Rabbit hole and didn't even see it."